Thursday, August 23, 2012

Campaign for Better Health with Hairstylists

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162-57494974-10391704/doctor-uses-salons-to-encourage-healthy-living-in-the-african-american-community/?tag=cbsnewsMainColumnArea

In allignment with our upcoming meeting topic about the impact of obesity, I would like to share this article about a doctor's campaign to fight obesity. I never thought to correlate hairstyle with obesity, but this article explains how a person who spends more on upkeeping their hairstyle could get discouraged to exercise, therefore, lives an unhealthy life. Very interesting correlation and campaign to fight obesity.

3 comments:

  1. Very interesting! Yesterday, I was at the hairstylist. Admittedly, even the amount of time one spends waiting sometimes; a good workout could be accomplished. I watched someone wait for two hours to get her hair done. During that time,she could have spent 30-45 minutes on the treadmill. A novel idea would be to combine a health center and hair stylist shop. This reminds me of another article I saw where health screenings were done at barber shops:www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,315343,00.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very Nice Coleen! So far I have not seen barber shops with health screenings but I have seen hair salons inside gyms. Time is of real essence. If someone really wants to work out- one shall find the time for it. It's the motivation that's not there...

    ReplyDelete
  3. My hairdresser works from her home and lives across the street. It takes no more than 30 minutes so I have no excuse not to exercise! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete